Monday, November 7, 2011

It's alive!

We have continued to make good progress on the car. Have been logging most of the work on our Youtube Channel here:

Latest Video:

Monday, June 6, 2011

Recent Progress - Suspension and Paint Work

We are installing the Rod and Custom MII Kit. Here is a short video of the installation work.

We painted some of the suspension pieces prior to installation:

Spraying a Test Panel with Two Tone Metallic and Kandy Apple Paint:

Sunday, May 1, 2011

A look back.... Engine Bay Transformation

We first started working the front of the car and the engine bay in July 2009. Yesterday we shot a couple coats of Slicksand for the last stage of block sanding before top coat materials are applied. The engine bay will be shot with a black base coat and a pre-flattened urethane clear coat for durability.

How it looks Now:

While it now is in good shape, smooth, rust free, it didn't start that way. Some of these pics are in previous blog entries but thought I would summarize here:

The old suspension components were in bad shape, all rusted and completely locked up. We made quick work of them.

Over the years, battery acid eventually rusts out the battery tray, front apron, core support, and frame rail if not fixed. Unfortunately, needed all those things repaired. You can see that someone attempted a very poor repair using some galvanized sheetmetal and riveted it in place. You can get an idea of the frame rail in this pic.

Frame rail rust:

Only about 15" of the frame rail was rusted, so we replaced that with new metal.

Matt welding the new section in:

Core support and front apron cut off and ready for the scrap yard.

We cut out the shock towers also in preparation for the blockoff plates that are used with the Rod and Custom MII front suspension setup.

Block off plates and other sheetmetal smoothing:

New Core Support and Front Apron:

All sheetmetal finished up:

Saturday, April 23, 2011

Epoxy and 2K Primer

After 1.5 years of sheetmetal replacement, rust repair, and bodywork, Matt and I finally put the car in Epoxy primer today. Will be spraying 2K Urethane tomorrow. We are using PPG products. Here are some pics from today spraying the car.